From One Birthday To The Next

To describe me takes talent... all I can say is, "Come back here and i'll bite your legs off!" Thats my favorite line from Monty Pythons-The Holy Grail... If I haven't scared you off with that brief introduction, i guess you deserve to read some more about me.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

In this blog post I am going to write about how I spent my shabbat. I went to Ora's house. Ora lives in Chashmonaim. I like going to Ora's house. It is a lot of fun. She has two funny younger brothers and a younger sister. Her parents are also very funny people. Usually, when ever I go there for shabbat, I bring dessert. This time I made sushi out of rice krispie treats and green fruit by the foot. They liked it a lot and it gave them a good laugh. Why is this so funny? They like to eat sushi and Ora and I always make it when I'm there. I don't like sushi, but they always tell me to try it and I do. Then I tell them that I don't like it again. After that, they dont make me eat anymore of it. This is why I decided to make dessert sushi for them, so that finally there would be sushi that I would eat too. Friday afternoon, Ora and I helped her mother get ready for shabbat. They finally decided that I like helping and they let me cut up all the vegetables. It worked out well, because Ora's mother does not like to cut up vegetables. Shabbat started and we went to shul. It was a nice davening, but very loud. It reminded me of home, because almost none of the men could sing. We then went back to Ora's house to have supper. Supper was delicious. I even made sure to copy the recipe for the chicken after shabbat. We talked and zemired and laughed til our sides hurt. After bentching, Ora washed the dishes and I studied for machshevet. We have a test on Monday. When Ora was done washing the dishes, we went out for a walk and to find some people to socialize with. We picked up Binyamin from his house and then went to find the people who were wandering around outside. In the end, we wound up talking to Shira and to Binyamin's younger brother and his friends. It was an amusing conversation. At eleven we headed for home and studied some more. Then we went to sleep. At six thirty the next morning we got up and went to the early minyan at shul. We were really tired, but at least the women's section wasn't crowded. After davening, we went back to Ora's house and set the table, made some salads, and sat down to study a little more while we waited for Ora's family and their guest to come back from shul. Lunch was a drawn out affair, but there was company over, so it was only to be expected. I was trying my hardest not to fall asleep at the table. At two o'clock, the company left and we got to take a two hour long shabbat nap. It was much needed. When we woke up, we decided to study some mishnayot for our bagrut on Wednesday. We spread a blanket out in the backyard and ate popcorn as we learned. Not surprisingly, Binyamin and Shira came over while we were studying. Shira read the newspaper and Binyamin made me laugh, too much. It was good to have him there though, because anything Ora or I didn't understand he was able to explain to us. A year in yeshiva can be a good thing. Finally the sun started to set and it got chilly outside. We went and sat inside and talked politics and about Shidduchim. Shabbat ended and everyone went home. Ora and I cleared up her room. I said thank you to her parents and then Ora walked me to the bus stop. I made it home a little before eleven and started to work on my sport avodah. I stayed up until three thirty writing it. Then I woke up at six fifteen and finished it off. I went to school. There was no gym today. Two free hours came next. Torah was interesting, but I knew it all already. Two more free hours followed. At least the Ezrachut teacher is letting me redo the test after pesach...

I hope you enjoyed the detailed summary of my Shabbat and up until now. And what about that Israeli/thrid grade writing style... nu? g'night mush

4 Comments:

At 7:18 PM, Blogger Mory said...

Very... um, literal. You've certainly put in a lot of little details (as you've pointed out, much like a third grader might), but you haven't addressed the most obvious question: How was it? After all, any one of these details could be seen as either a wonderful or miserable time, depending on your perspective. But your perspective is completely missing. Did you enjoy it?

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

She was with the Koplens - of COURSE she enjoyed!!

Even though I wasn't there.

And, why did I not get any honorable mention for typing up parts of your paper? :P

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Mory said...

I don't know; maybe I'm reading too much into this. (I do tend to do that, since so much of what people say doesn't have all that much thought behind it.) Sammy said "It is a lot of fun." (in general), without saying anything at all about how this particular Shabbat was. This gives the impression that this Shabbat was an exception to that general rule. And then the writing style- if I were to use a style like that, I'd be trying to say something by using it- The medium's half the message, I say. I'd be implying that there wasn't any substance beneath the trivialities. Then again, it's not unusual for Sammy to write about long strings of events, so maybe I'm coming at this from the wrong angle. But then she specifically brought attention to the writing style. Then again, maybe she was just trying to keep the tone less formal.

Yeah, maybe I'm reading a bit too much into this. Rats.

 
At 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's see... Ora washes the dinner dishes, Ora sets the table for lunch. Why do I always wash the Shabbos dishes in our house?

We love you Sammy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home